Robin McLaurin Williams (July 21, 1951 – August 11, 2014) was an American actor and comedian. Starting as a stand-up comedian in San Francisco and Los Angeles in the mid-1970s, he is credited with leading San Francisco’s comedy renaissance. After rising to fame as Mork in the sitcom Mork & Mindy (1978-82), he went on to establish a career in both stand-up comedy and feature film acting. He was known for his improvisational skills.
After his film debut in the musical comedy Popeye (1980), he starred or co-starred in widely acclaimed films, including the comedy-drama The World According to Garp (1982), war comedy Good Morning, Vietnam (1987), dramas Dead Poets Society (1989) and Awakenings (1990), comedy-drama The Fisher King (1991), animated musical fantasy Aladdin (1992), drama Good Will Hunting (1997), and psychological thriller One Hour Photo (2002), as well as financial successes such as the fantasy adventure film Hook (1991), comedy Mrs. Doubtfire (1993), fantasy adventure Jumanji (1995), comedy The Birdcage (1996), and fantasy adventure-comedy Night at the Museum (2006).
In 1998, Williams won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for his performance as Dr. Sean Maguire in Good Will Hunting. He also received two Primetime Emmy Awards, six Golden Globe Awards, two Screen Actors Guild Awards, and four Grammy Awards throughout his career.
On August 11, 2014, Williams committed suicide by hanging himself at his home in Paradise Cay, California. It was revealed shortly after his death that Williams had been suffering from severe depression, Parkinson’s disease, and diffuse Lewy body dementia.
In his memory, here are 35 unforgettable quotations by Robin Williams:
1. “You’re only given a little spark of madness. Don’t lose it.”
2. “See what I mean? You gotta be crazy. Ain’t no time to be sane.”
3. “A nuclear bomb is a man’s way of saying, ‘I’m gonna fuck up the earth.’ A woman would never make a nuclear bomb. They would never make a weapon that kills. They’d make a weapon that makes you feel bad for a while… That’s why there should be a woman president, there would never be any wars. You know this, it’s the truth. There would never be a war; just every twenty-eight days: some severe negotiations.”
4. “I’m sorry, if you were right, I’d agree with you.”
5. “Politics: “Poli” a Latin word meaning “many” and “tics” meaning “bloodsucking creatures”.”
6. “Spring is nature’s way of saying, Let’s party!”
7. “No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world.”
8. “Comedy is acting out optimism”
9. “You will have bad times, but they will always wake you up to the stuff you weren’t paying attention to.”
10. “Please, don’t worry so much. Because in the end, none of us have very long on this Earth. Life is fleeting. And if you’re ever distressed, cast your eyes to the summer sky when the stars are strung across the velvety night. And when a shooting star streaks through the blackness, turning night into day… make a wish and think of me. Make your life spectacular.”
11. “I believe in destiny. There must be a reason that I am as I am. There must be.”
12. “In the dictionary under redundant it says see redundant.”
13. “Some are born great. Some achieve greatness. Some get it as a graduation gift.”
14. “When in doubt, go for the dick joke.”
15. “Cocaine is God’s way of telling you you are making too much money.”
16. “I used to think the worst thing in life is to end up all alone. It’s not. The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone.”
17. “If it’s the Psychic Network why do they need a phone number?”
18. “Death is nature’s way of saying, ‘your table is ready.”
19. “Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They’ve got nothing to lose.”
20. “People say satire is dead. It’s not dead; it’s alive and living in the White House.”
21. “Reality what a concept!”
22. “See, the problem is that God gives men a brain and a penis, and only enough blood to run one at a time.
23. “Even fools seem smart when they are quiet.”
24. “I used to think that the worst thing in life was to end up alone. It’s not. The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel alone.”
25. “And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love: these are what we stay alive for.”
26. “The essential truth is that sometimes you’re worried that they’ll find out it’s a fluke, that you don’t really have it. You’ve lost the muse or – the worst dread – you never had it at all. I went through all that madness early on”
27. “No matter what people tell you, words and ideas can change the world.”
28. “Winning an Oscar is an honor, but, between you and me, it does not makes things easier.”
29. “Tweets? That stuff kills conversation. And people taking pictures with their phone or recording you, sometimes surreptitiously, is creepy. They come up and just start talking to you, and you can see the red light on their phone.”
30. “I do believe in love; it’s wonderful – especially love (the) third time around, it’s even more precious; it’s kind of amazing.”
31. “Politics is so personal, vicious and immediate, how are you going to get anything done? Even the local politics where I live have gotten so ugly.”
32. “Sometimes over things that I did, movies that didn’t turn out very well – you go, ‘Why did you do that?’ But in the end, I can’t regret them because I met amazing people. There was always something that was worth it.”
33. “Never pick a fight with an ugly person, they’ve got nothing to lose.”
34. “Good people end up in Hell because they can’t forgive themselves.”